Friday, December 31, 2010

Apple is looking at a social networking tool for shopping guidance at retail

The last time I went to Lowe's to buy a gas grill, it was an impulse purchase.

I had no idea what brand to buy and why.

So I pulled out my iPhone, activated Safari, and starting searching for information about the various models that interested me as I walked through the aisles of single-burners, smokers, the whole nine yards.

Apple is taking the spirit of that in-store brick-and-mortar search experience and is looking into creating a social networking tool to help shoppers make smarter decisions.

Neil Hughes' piece from the Apple Insider is an interesting read. And when this Ping-like device hits the streets, I think it will be huge.

In fact, it sure beats people talking loudly on their mobile phones while shopping, while asking their friends if they should buy something.

No comments:

Post a Comment